The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver was the 1999 finalist for The Pulitzer Prize, it is ranked 865th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, and it is verry popular on Goodreads, where it has more than eight hundred thousand ratings and over thirty thousand reviews – by the way, you find thousands of notes on magnum opera from the GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel

 

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver was the 1999 finalist for The Pulitzer Prize, it is ranked 865th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, and it is verry popular on Goodreads, where it has more than eight hundred thousand ratings and over thirty thousand reviews – by the way, you find thousands of notes on magnum opera from the GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel

 

10 out of 10

 

I was so euphoric https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/09/the-poisonwood-bible-by-barbara.html when I first started to read The Poisonwood Bible that I have already posted a note on it, and the present lines come with the end of the affair, I see now why this was so popular and was shortlisted for The Pulitzer Prize

 

Demon Copperhead must be excellent, it eventually won the Pulitzer for the author, and I look forward to reading it; Tata Jesus is Bangala, this is the mistake that gives the name to the novel, Nathan Prize, the Baptist preacher who takes this assignment in the Congo, in the 1960s, does not now the difference between the ways bangala is spoken

There is also another misunderstanding, Tata Nzolo could mean God of small potatoes, the various words have more than one significance, all depending on the manner in which they are spoken, nonetheless, there is amore serious, tragic incomprehension, between the West and the African peoples, and this book serves to make some light

 

There are splendid novels https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/heart-of-darkness-by-joseph-conrad.html which have tried and revealed some of Africa to readers, Heart of Darkness, The Sheltering Sky, A Good Man in Africa, to name just a few, in The Poisonwood Bible we have a magic, enchanting mix of humor and horror

“God’s word was brought to you by a crew of romantic idealists in a harsh desert culture eons ago, followed by a chain of translators two thousand years long” this is one insight, then the pronouncement that Jesus and the God of the violent Old Testament could not have lived in the same house, or words to that effect

 

However, if we laugh (I know I did) throughout much of the first part, slowly, we get to some calamities, the ants’ invasion, death and terror, the whole intervention of the West, in particular America, is stigmatized, I thought somewhat harshly, not that Mobuto was a good fellow, he was an eejit, puppet and monster

I have experienced the ‘benefits’ of communism, like more than a billion people, and I do not agree that this system would have been better for the Congo or any other place, I have fought in the revolution http://realini.blogspot.com/2022/03/realini-in-newsweek-participant-in.html to depose Ceausescu, a villain just as bad as Seseseko

 

There may be some words that I will keep with me, mbote is one, it seems it means hello and goodbye, just like shalom, and it depends on the circumstances, plus, you have wanda mbote and other formulas…it was a wonderful entertainment, if often tragic; another book about Africa that I recommend is https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/08/an-ice-cream-war-by-william-boyd-10-out.html

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin