The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver the was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in fiction in 1999, it is placed on the 865th spot on The Greatest books of All Time site, and what is crucial for this space, it is already one of my Top 200 Favorite Oeuvres, and I have only read a quarter of it, the plan is too have a few notes on it – you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from the GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel
The
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver the was a finalist for the Pulitzer
Prize in fiction in 1999, it is placed on the 865th spot on The
Greatest books of All Time site, and what is crucial for this space, it is
already one of my Top 200 Favorite Oeuvres, and I have only read a quarter of
it, the plan is too have a few notes on it – you have thousands of reviews of
magnum opera from the GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel
10 out of 10
Another
Barbara, Barbara Fredrickson https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/positivity-by-barbara-fredrickson-life.html has written a psychology classic,
Positivity, and you find there the ingredients of, well, Positivity: awe,
interest, hope, inspiration, pride, serenity, joy, gratitude, love and…amusement,
which is what The Poisonwood Bible is about
This was my
own attempt at a feeble, failed joke, this divine chef d’oeuvre is not a
comedy, notwithstanding the blissful, hilarious narrative, it is not even
circumscribed by religion, which is a main theme, but then we have different
points of view, there is the pompous Reverend Nathan Price, but we have other perspectives
Actually, I
have just finished the passage where the messenger of God in Africa has a had a
clash, at table, with Anatole Ngemba, who is the teacher, but also works as translator
(at least he had been, I don’t know what happens next, now that the white man
is furious) for the sermons, and he has come to mediate
Tata Ndu, the
chief of Kilanga, has allowed a few villagers to attend the church, but only
the riff raff, those considered beyond the pale, and Tata Ndu is worried that
others would follow, and he does not like this, he thinks Christianity is somehow
contemptible, and this attitude makes the Reverend livid, he takes vengeance on
his wife, Orleanna
The humor is
mixed with horror, Nathan Price had talked about baptism, only to find after
six months the reason for his absolute failure on this and other matters, a
child had been snatched by a crocodile and killed, ergo no local would dare and
use the water to be ‘saved’, when they know that death is most probable…
The chief is
both imposing, due to the power he has, and preposterous, one of the mirthful
passages describes how he has those dark glasses, except there is no glass, and
then he has the remains of some small animal hanging around his neck and one of
the girls is glorious in how she takes this arrogant leader down
Like most
often, he reminds me of the replica that ludicrous, cruel, sometimes stupid, or
both personages have in reality https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/confidence-man-making-of-donald-trump.html not that the reverend is much
better, in fact, I have misgivings, I do not know who is worse at this point
Methuselah
is one, perhaps the main reason I am upset with Nathan Price, he is a grey
parrot, I have had two, before the pediatrician told me they are dangerous for
infants, and my daughter was one at that time, now I have two macaws https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html the reverend is mean to the poor
bird, and I hate that
Comentarii
Trimiteți un comentariu