Evelina by Frances Burney is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read, it is ranked 818th on The Greatest Books of All Time, nevertheless, it failed the capture my attention, and this is mea culpa…you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from The GOAT, 1,000 Novels and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel

 

Evelina by Frances Burney is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read, it is ranked 818th on The Greatest Books of All Time, nevertheless, it failed the capture my attention, and this is mea culpa…you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from The GOAT, 1,000 Novels and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html and YouTube channel

 

7 out of 10

 

Alice Adams https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/alice-adams-by-booth-tarkington.html came to mind when reading about Evelina, I thought reading the latter would be as elating as the former, alas, it did not happen, and this is because of the under signed, I did not find it engaging enough, granted, there may be some reasons:

 

LibriVox is the site where generous volunteers donate their time, they read great works (probably some lesser ones too) that are in the public domain, one such is Evelina, and despite the kudos for the people who gave the public the chance to listen to it, I must say that in my case it did not work, again, my fault, not theirs

It has to do with some ‘chemistry’, a connection, or bond of some kind, take The Bell Jar https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/the-bell-jar-by-sylvia-plath-10-out-of.html I had the blessing to hear it read by stupendous Maggie Gyllenhaal, and presto, here I am, still basking, reveling in that formidable experience

 

Then there is the “Checkoff formula: you take a lot of characters, all miserable because of something they won't do, and let them talk without influencing each other for three acts, and at the last moment you introduce some arbitrary calamity, or some proposed change like a return to Petrograd or a holiday in the Cry-mere, which you know won't make any difference to any of them, and then you go on for ten minutes or so after the thing should have stopped even by your own standards, to show how delicate and unemphatic your art is”

https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/memoirs-by-kingsley-amis-author-of-take.html that was wisdom from the chef d’oeuvre by Magister Ludi Kingsley Amis, granted, he was quite harsh with many of the auteurs that are worshipped today: he disliked Virgina Woolf’s prose, said: “I did teach Mansfield Park at Swansea, and very scathing about it I was. I had concluded that Jane Austen was a 2nd-rate pisser while still at school.”

 

I would also refer to Penelope Lively, who wrote: ‘the novelist has an infinity of choices, He chooses what is to happen, to happens, and in what way he will relate what happens, the picture he constructs is complete on its own terms…when he says this is the story and the whole story, we must accept it…perhaps novelists are the only people telling the truth’Concluding hence that the writer is god’, but I amend that…

https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/according-to-mark-by-penelope-lively.html in the sense that I conclude readers are, let us say demi-gods, for they keep the keys to the gate, Evelina is a case in point, it did not seem dazzling, and ergo I decided to leave the poor girl out in the cold, I am just showing that vile side, so that MAGA could use this and attack me https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/finding-shocking-details-from-peril-by.html next time they want to kick me from one site or another, for my loathing of that abject creature, who yesterday ‘joked’ about the destruction of LA and San Diego

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin