The Road To Lichfield by Penelope Lively was shortlisted for The Booker Prize, but it does not exist on The Greatest Books of All Time site…you find thousands of reviews on magnum opera from The GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html

 

The Road To Lichfield by Penelope Lively was shortlisted for The Booker Prize, but it does not exist on The Greatest Books of All Time site…you find thousands of reviews on magnum opera from The GOAT and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html

 

 

8 out of 10

 

I was dazzled by According To Mark https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/according-to-mark-by-penelope-lively.html by Penelope Lively, I quote from it frequently, especially this passage: ‘the novelist has an infinity of choices, He chooses what is to happen, to happens, and in what way he will relate what happens, the picture he constructs is complete on its own terms…when he says this is the story and the whole story we must accept it…perhaps novelists are the only people telling the truth’ concluding hence that the writer is god’

 

Furthermore, this was extended to conclude that the reader must have a touch of divinity, maybe they are at least demi-gods, seeing as they also decide what characters make it into their world, who gets ejected, those who are invited to stay, such as some of those from the ebullient, enchanting Poisonwood Bible

https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/09/the-poisonwood-bible-by-barbara.html Orleanna, Anatole, Rachel, the girls, Tata Ndu will stay on, when I will be finished with the chef d’oeuvre, maybe it will be part of a ritual, using Congolese words such as mbote, it has been an exhilarating experience, and I still have about half of it ahead

 

Anne Linton is the heroine of The Road To Lichfield, she drives north in the first sentence, to see her father, James Stanway, who is dying, most of the time unaware of her presence, and much of anything else, while she sorts things at the house, she meets the neighbor, David Fielding, a headmaster and fisherman.

They will have an affair, maybe a spoiler alert was necessary ahead of this news, but I keep saying nobody bothers to read this, and then if they were, I am not sure they would be inclined to take up the novel, and be bothered by this detail, in fact, I thought this must happen, before the author made it ‘official’

 

Anton Chekhov https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/05/the-short-stories-of-anton-chekhov-are.html wrote "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." Ergo the affair was ‘in the air’, I was surprised by the denouement, especially about Don, the husband

I will not say what he did, only that the spouse was a mystery, his attitude is what I have to adopt, on a daily basis, considering that I lost confidence, my image is tarnished, and the wife (I am not even sure that is the correct use of the word, we live in the house, but otherwise, there is not much else, if anything shared) is sure that I am no good, alas, she may even be right, in some ways, like with those figures in Intellectuals https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/intellectuals-by-paul-johnson.html by Paul Johnson, important men of letters have been atrocious in their private lives, I am no great man, but then I am not that disreputable, or maybe…?

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin