Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann is one of The Bokklubben World Library’s Greatest 100 Books of All Time, the Swedish Academy identified "the great novel Buddenbrooks" as the principal reason for The Nobel Prize awarded to Thomas Mann, it is ranked 88th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, and it is one of my favorites – for more reviews you could visit https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html

 

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann is one of The Bokklubben World Library’s Greatest 100 Books of All Time, the Swedish Academy identified "the great novel Buddenbrooks" as the principal reason for The Nobel Prize awarded to Thomas Mann, it is ranked 88th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, and it is one of my favorites – for more reviews you could visit https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/do-you-have-any-suggestions-how-to-make.html

 

10 out of 10

 

I have been reading The Buddenbrooks https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/09/buddenbrooks-by-thomas-mann-is-one-of.html for the second time and I must say I am so surprised at how much I like it, it has become one of my Top 100 Favorites, and I hope to be able to read this again, a few years from now, for the third time

 

William Faulkner considered it to be the greatest novel of the 20th century, and we can see why; this is a second note, in just a matter of a few days, I have passed the point where Tony aka Antonie Buddenbrook has had a clash with her (first) husband, Grunlich, her father had had to step in and setlle the matter

Whenever I find a scoundrel in the books I read, I think about how they resemble, though they are mostly insignificant when compared with the Confidence Man https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/confidence-man-making-of-donald-trump.html a despicable ghoul

 

I am now reminded of a talk, well, just a few sentences exchanged this morning at the club, where we have some smaller villains, one was saying that the Hebrews rule the world, and the other agreed, and because it was in my presence, in the locker room, I had to step in and say: ‘look, there is Trump, Putin, Xi…

And then Modi of India, a good number of dictators in Africa, what do they have with the Israelis?” back to the Buddenbrooks, which I left, and should have inserted a spoiler alert before veering off the topic…I also thought of The Magic Mountain https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/magic-mountain-by-thomas-mann.html

 

Because my favorite character, Tony, has the chance to marry again, with a personage that recalls Myheer Peeperkorn, notwithstanding the differences, they are both large, boisterous, rather wealthy, although Alois Permaneder lacks the zest, energy, vivacity of Peeperkorn from Zauberberg, husband of my favorite in that magnum opus

Alas, Permaneder does not show his serious flaws while courting Tony Buddenbrook, he is clumsy, rather rude for the aristocratic, noblesse oblige norms, keeps saying hell, and his bottom, or something like that, but he appears to be a good prospect, considering the diminished circumstances of the divorcee, and the scandal of the bankruptcy

 

Alas, it does not work, and I will almost certainly get back to the plot, in a future note, because it is such a bliss to follow a classic, perfect narrative, William Faulkner https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/08/the-reivers-reminiscence-by-william.html may have been right in saying this is the greatest novel of the century

 

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin