Kontinental ’25 written and directed by Radu Jude was The 2025 Winner of Silver Berlin Bear for Best Screenplay, it was also nominated for The Golden Bear for Best Film at The Berlin Film Festival, it is also The 2026 Winner of The Gopo Awards (the local Oscars) for Best Feature Film, Best Actress in a Leading Role, it also won some other trophies – you have thousands of notes on films from The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

Kontinental ’25 written and directed by Radu Jude was The 2025 Winner of Silver Berlin Bear for Best Screenplay, it was also nominated for The Golden Bear for Best Film at The Berlin Film Festival, it is also The 2026 Winner of The Gopo Awards (the local Oscars) for Best Feature Film, Best Actress in a Leading Role, it also won some other trophies – you have thousands of notes on films from The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made and other lists on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

8 out of 10

 

I have seen and written about I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History as Barbarians https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/08/i-do-not-care-if-we-go-down-in-history.html although the most important, probably best film of Radu Jude is Aferim! Which won The Silver Bear in Berlin, just like Kontinental

 

The latter was on Cinemax last night and I still do not know what to think about it: on the one hand, it is clearly an impressive achievement, the proof of that is this musing over the narrative, the excesses, the fact that my behavior also demonstrates the points suggested by the writer – director, who has placed a mirror in front of the audience

Nevertheless, the hyperbole, repetition, and some of the other creative means have been too much for this cinephile, who has to admit to snobbishness, and I am reminded of the shortest joke I know, from Fawlty Towers  https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/03/fawlty-towers-by-john-cleese-is-best.html ‘pretentious? Moi?’

 

Indeed, Radu Jude mentions remarkable motion pictures, one if the acclaimed Japanese one, in which this hero cleans toilets and keeps a Zen Master attitude, that is the epitome of Nirvana, what I did not like was the amount of swearing, expletives that I dislike, albeit, when I cycle from home downtown and back, I curse all the time, and every working day

The theme of generosity, and its reverse maybe the main one, this homeless commits suicide when he is evicted, and the bailiff feels guilty, although she gives so many euros to various causes, Ukraine refugees, and more…nationalism, extremism are also exposed – the bailiff is attacked and insulted because she is from the Hungarian minority

 

Reservoir Dogs https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/05/reservoir-dogs-written-and-directed-by.html may have established a record – the movie with the biggest number of swear words, and it is one of the Top 20, except that with Kontinental I find I am not so amenable: shit, fuck, diarrhea, vomit, go beyond a limit…

And yet, this what society looks like, and the bubble I prefer does not represent the world at large, furthermore, the spouse, infuriated with me always, has been using the most awful god damn (to enter the spirit of Kontinental) insults when telling me to shut the fuck up, get the hell out, die already and more to that effect

 

The bailiff’s mother is chauvinistic as well, and she talks of Romanians as peasants, lazy dogs or something similar, the idea that Cluj looks much more like Vienna, and the West, than Urlati is introduced, and the hyperbole serve to make a point, it is just that for my taste, it did not quite work so well  https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/games-people-play-by-eric-berne.html

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish