Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read according to one critic, and ranked only 2332nd by the algorithm used on The Greatest Books of All Time site, I will go even further and say that it is not withing the Top 10k with me, notwithstanding the fact that this list has not been compiled and most likely it will never be…you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from the aforementioned and other pages on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read according to one critic, and ranked only 2332nd by the algorithm used on The Greatest Books of All Time site, I will go even further and say that it is not withing the Top 10k with me, notwithstanding the fact that this list has not been compiled and most likely it will never be…you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from the aforementioned and other pages on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

6 out of 10

 

Sunset Song made me think of Lark Rise to Candleford https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/07/over-to-candleford-by-flora-thompson-is.html another novel about rural life, except I could engage with the latter, nay, the three novels contain within, but alas, Sunset Song is beyond me, difficult to follow and thus The Departed for yours, truly

 

Indeed, it is on one important list, The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read, and yet, the Greatest Books of All Time has placed it only at 2332, though I have to say that The GOAT has been out of sink with this reader, many of his favorites to be found at lower ranks, or even not included at all there, I wonder what the mechanism is

I have a funny feeling now, related to the formula for Being in The Zone, one of the conditions is to be in the area between burnout and Boredom, only Sunset Song and others might place meat times in Boredom and then for periods in Burnout https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/flow-by-mihaly-csikszentmihalyi.html

 

“One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind." Now, this is not to say that Sunset Song is ‘intellectual poison’, it just doe not work for me – I extended the Schopenhauer doctrine to people, those who are toxic must be avoided, and I had some confirmation recently

There is this ‘professor’, a pompous, unjustified title for this ghoul, that I had identified as poisonous, and indeed, the other day I was told how, at the club, he started fucking (in his own foul words) a series of artists and luminaries of high standing here…then there is another work that I want to refer to here, in my defense

 

https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/01/to-hermitage-by-malcolm-bradbury-author.html To The Hermitage by Malcolm Bradbury “Fiction is infinitely preferable to real life. As long as you avoid the books of Kafka or Beckett, the everlasting plot of fiction has fewer futile experiences than the careless plot of reality. Fiction's people are fuller, deeper, cleverer, more moving than those in real life…Its actions are more intricate, illuminating, noble, profound…There are many more dramas, climaxes, romantic fulfillment, twists, turns, gratified resolutions…Unlike reality, all of this you can experience without leaving the house or even getting out of bed…What's more, books are a form of intelligent human greatness, as stories are a higher order of sense…As random life is to destiny, so stories are to great authors, who provided us with some of the highest pleasures and the most wonderful mystifications we can find…Few stories are greater than Anna Karenina, that wise epic by an often foolish author…’ and now I apply this here:

Sunset Song would not offer the ‘dramas, climaxes’ and all the other advantages mentioned above, not because the book would not have them, but because I would not be fit to access, I do not even understand quite a few of the terms…this was voted the best Scottish novel, by the way, well good for those who can read it

 

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish