Tristan by Thomas Mann, one of my favorite writers, whose Magic Mountain is 29th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, it is also one of the Top 100 Greatest Books of Ever Written as listed by The Bokklubben World Library, you may wish to check https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

Tristan by Thomas Mann, one of my favorite writers, whose Magic Mountain is 29th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, it is also one of the Top 100 Greatest Books of Ever Written as listed by The Bokklubben World Library, you may wish to check https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

9 out of 10

 

Tristan https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/tristan-by-thomas-mann-magic-mountain.html is The Magic Mountain on a smaller scale, this is what I said in my previous review of this oeuvre, a novella, and I can see why, for there are similarities, even if The Magic Mountain is a magnum opus, while Tristan a short story

 

We have a sanatorium as setting for both narratives, and that reminds of my time spent in hospital, quite a few months, back when I was a student at the University – furthermore, in the case of The Magic Mountain, the backdrop, the high altitude of Switzerland, if I am not imagining this, I am not sure if I remember it well

Gabriela Cloterian in Tristan would be the replica of Clawdia Chauchat from The Magic Mountain, her husband is portrayed by George Constatin https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/peer-gynt-by-henrik-ibsen-calling.html a thespian that is greater than Jack Nicholson, this Tristan I talk about is an adaptation

 

However, Spinnel from Tristan appears to me as a combination of Hans Castorp and Lodovico Settembrini, probably because in the novella, Thomas Mann (or any other author) did not have the time and space to develop various characters, indeed, there may be traits from Naphta, a few people have to merge into one

Peeperkorn is much more complex than Cloterian, the former has charisma, he is imposing, while the husband of Gabriela is just a primitive philanderer, again, in a short narrative, you have to concentrate on the main characters, or at least, I venture to say https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/03/the-kings-english-guide-to-modern-usage.html

 

“First you want to get hold of something to say, then you fudge up a plot of a story of some kind, and then you put in bits of things you have seen and heard round the place, and then you try and make it all sound sort of interesting or witty or funny or unusual or striking in some way” thus spoke Kingsley Amis, Magister Ludi

Tristan may highlight what happens when the woman is the opposite of the man she has married, or even not a nemesis, at least there are huge differences here, she is delicate, superior, noble, while he is rudimentary, selfish, now, I am not sure about love, he seems to feel pity for his spouse, albeit that is not quite what is needed

 

Milan Kundera https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/the-unbearable-lightness-of-being-9-out.html wrote about the difference between pity and compassion (anata comes to mind too), the former we feel for some one we place under our level, and compassion is what is required, Cloterian shows pity for his wife

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin