The Choral by Alan Bennett – one of my favorite authors, you find more than ten reviews of his oeuvres, along with thousands of other notes on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites, on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and YouTube channel
The Choral
by Alan Bennett – one of my favorite authors, you find more than ten reviews of
his oeuvres, along with thousands of other notes on magnum opera from The
Greatest Books of All Time and other sites, on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and YouTube channel
8 out of 10
Alan Bennett
https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2024/09/a-life-like-other-peoples-by-alan.html is a formidable, prolific writer, he
is listed on Goodreads with 308 distinct works, and I think I may have reviewed
(only) about fifteen, but I am instantly captivated when I see his name, just
like in the case of The Choral
Admittedly,
we have the reviewed astounding Ralph Fiennes as Dr. Henry Guthrie, we could
see this as the main cheater, ergo this would be a leading role for the
thespian that was nominated for three Academy Awards, the best known part would
that of The English Patient https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/08/the-english-patient-by-michael-ostaandje.html though Schindler’s List is also
popular
The
narrative of The Choral takes place during World War I, when they do not have
men for the chorus, when one of the biggest conflagrations started, so they
have to take in teenagers, and these are attacked at one point for not
enlisting, one retorts ‘nobody will take care of your fanny’, words to that
effect, and that was amusing…
And sad at
the same time, for that woman had lost her brother, millions were killed for
the most horrible, and absurd reasons during that world war, they only advanced
for a few meters, and then they got pushed back again https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2024/12/all-quiet-on-western-front-by-erich.html
All Quiet on
The Western Front might be the best book on this gruesome subject – in The
Choral, they try to have Dr. Henry Guthrie as the conductor, and perhaps
director for the cultural event, albeit there are many objections and
obstacles, the result is mirthful and I found it delightful, though critics
have not been overwhelmed
That is,
some enjoyed, while others rejected the motion picture…they try to select the
music, but since they are fighting the Germans, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms and so
many others are out, for some reason https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/03/fawlty-towers-by-john-cleese-is-best.html I am reminded of Fawlty Towers
There is an
episode there, called The Germans, playing on the fact that they had been in
the war (the World War II in the best comedy series ever) and then the
stupendous, if awful Fawlty keeps offending his guests, now, in The Choral,
they select Sir Edward Elgar, and then they write to him, Dr. Henry Guthrie
gets a positive answer
That
notwithstanding, we have this fantastic scene later, when the composer comes to
visit, they think they got away with the fact that they changed his piece, but
near the end of the stop, the visitor finds out and he erupts like a volcano…at
some stage, I was thinking of The Graduate https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/the-graduate-by-charles-webb-10-out-of.html
Comentarii
Trimiteți un comentariu