The Anti Death League by Kingsley Amis is only 14389th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, which means that the algorithm there may start being irritating for yours truly, given that Magister Ludi Kingsley Amis is my favorite author, and this is not even the first time when I find one of the books I admire at the bottom, or not even there; for a few thousand reviews, including about thirty on the magnum opera of Kingsley Amis https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

 

 The Anti Death League by Kingsley Amis is only 14389th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, which means that the algorithm there may start being irritating for yours truly, given that Magister Ludi Kingsley Amis is my favorite author, and this is not even the first time when I find one of the books I admire at the bottom, or not even there; for a few thousand reviews, including about thirty on the magnum opera of Kingsley Amis https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html

10 out of 10

 

Magister Ludi Kingsley Amis https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/08/the-anti-death-league-by-kingsley-amis.html is my favorite author, along with Marcel Proust, Somerset Maugham, Anthony Powell, except I am much more influenced by Kingsley Amis, to the point where I have read his Letters, Memoirs and I share his views

 

The Anti Death League is an impressive tour de force, we have a love story, a military operation that involves nuclear Armageddon (more or less), religion and especially atheism, of the ‘militant’ sort, and evidently, humor is connecting everything together, though quite often it would be of the morbid kind, Death is too present here…

From the title, to this Apollo mission (nothing to do with the American space program), which is meant to deter the Chinese from attacking India – to be on the safe side, let us put in a spoiler alert here, in case I blurt some secret after this – by alerting them to some new weapon, rifles with…atomic ammunition no less

 

I look forward to the next chef d’oeuvre https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/i-want-it-now-by-kingsley-amis-author.html I Want It Now, if on my first round I took Kingsley Amis’s novels as I found them, for this second journey of bliss, I am reading chronologically, looking for the order of publishing, ergo the next will represent a change

Lieutenant James Churchill and Catharine Casement would be my favorite characters in this splendid narrative, they fall in love, and that is the real feeling, when she may face serious problems, Churchill is literally sick, in bed, unwilling to eat, drink, or do anything, he is even supported to the ‘small’ toilet, he is so horrified.

 

There is more to his devastation, and this is where the spoiler alert form above might come in handily, for he would have been ordered to travel to Communist China to help start a pandemic (not Covid, which may have escaped from a lab there, or that market where they torture animals) to defeat the enemy

All the personages are interesting, from Brian Leonard, the one who is supposed to protect the secrets of Apollo, to Captain Max Hunter, an alcoholic homosexual, treated by the crazy doctor Best, a psychiatrist who finds all the others mad, he explains all the problems through homosexuality and lesbianism, Cathy would be one, in his view

 

It is interesting, maybe worrying that I do not remember these masterpieces that have made me ecstatic, Girl, 20 https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/08/girl-20-by-astounding-kingsley-amis.html and the others, even if I never had the chance to smoke marijuana, maybe this is the equivalent, getting high, and not being able to reminisce

 

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin