Mastiff by Joyce Carol Oates is the second story in the Collection Lovely, Dark, Deep, which was shortlisted for The 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Literature; Them is the highest ranking oeuvre by Joyce Carol Oates, it is 658th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, though I do not see why Black Water is not somewhere in the first 1,000, for more reviews you could visit my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and/or the YouTube channel

 

Mastiff by Joyce Carol Oates is the second story in the Collection Lovely, Dark, Deep, which was shortlisted for The 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Literature; Them is the highest ranking oeuvre by Joyce Carol Oates, it is 658th on The Greatest Books of All Time site, though I do not see why Black Water is not somewhere in the first 1,000, for more reviews you could visit my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and/or the YouTube channel

 

9 out of 10

 

Joyce Carol Oates https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/02/the-wheel-of-love-and-other-stories-by.html is one of the best novelists of our time, and I need to get the stamina to start with Blonde, though I am daunted by the size of it, 1110 pages, which on the flip side, could offer so many hours of dazzling narrative

 

Mastiff has a lot of drama, unfolding rather quickly, seeing that this just a short story: Mariella is the main character, she is on this hike, a frequented trail, with a lover, Simon has been intimate with her, albeit they are not all that close, they have known each other for a brief period, or is this just my feeling, maybe we do not know

Reservoir Dogs https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/05/reservoir-dogs-written-and-directed-by.html is one of the top 20 best films, at least in my book, and it is about people, gangsters mostly, but somehow, they have a resemblance to this animal who gives the name to the tale, The Mastiff that appears near the beginning

 

He has a massive head, and we are told that he is about as big as a Saint Bernard, only it lacks the benign air of the one who helped victims of avalanches on the mountains, I know of one who was in fact the accessory used for pictures, which I may have to do, if it comes to a really awful crisis, and we are left hanging…

I mean I have two macaws, omnipresent on the blog and YouTube channel, which may have to escort me, so that we take pictures from people, and get some money for that -again, this is in case of Armageddon – or maybe we open up an onlyfan page, and then who knows, we place bets, I am not sure what

 

https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/06/meditations-of-aurelius-new-translation.html in the meantime, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and other stoics insist we have to happy with what we have, and indeed, if we look at the wars in Ukraine, Sudan, Iran, Burma and other places, there are victims that are in such a calamitous state

they climb on this trail, but then they come back and meet with the Mastiff for a second time – spoiler alert, I will say what happens here – and this Canis lupus attacks, and it is such a terrible scene, Mariella is the target, and it is clear she would be overwhelmed, except Simon intervenes, heroically, interposing himself

 

alas, this is such a powerful, determined creature that the human being is quickly ravished, an ear lobe torn, actually, for a while, it is not clear if the Mastiff will not tore at his neck and kill him, I will not say what happens from here, only to say that we are in fact left in doubt, to some extent, which makes the story so much better

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin