Candleford Green by Flora Thompson is the third and last part in the trilogy Lark Rise to Candleford, which is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read, although on The Greatest Books of All Time the algorithm placed it only at 2461, my verdict inclines for the ‘defense’, it is more likely within my own 1,000 Favorites – you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from the aforementioned and other web pages on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and YouTube channel

 

Candleford Green by Flora Thompson is the third and last part in the trilogy Lark Rise to Candleford, which is one of The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read, although on The Greatest Books of All Time the algorithm placed it only at 2461, my verdict inclines for the ‘defense’, it is more likely within my own 1,000 Favorites – you have thousands of reviews of magnum opera from the aforementioned and other web pages on my blog https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html and YouTube channel

 

9 out of 10

 

I have been enchanted by Lark Rise https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/07/lark-rise-to-candleford-by-flora.html the first installment in the Lark Rise to Candleford novel by Flora Thompson, and then I moved to the next part, and finally to Candleford Green, which means that the trilogy is over for me, and I am grateful to the author

 

 

It is a rather conservative book, and I say this praising it, for I seem to be unable to appreciate more modern oeuvres, like Ulysses say, I am now ebullient, and mesmerized by Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth, which is so traditional, unless I am mistaken, we follow Paris and then this slave ship to Africa and I am exuberant…

Not in the sense that there is no drama, tragedies have already occurred, and now this little monkey enters the stage and I fear the horrible captain will kill the poor animal, Barry Unsworth is the fantastic author of Morality Play https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/morality-play-by-barry-unsworth.html

Now back to Candleford Green Laura Timmins is the main character, and she is based on Flora Thompson, or vice versa, the novelist has used her own experience to create the protagonist, which is the way of literature, creators modify what appears on paper- or computer these days – but they have to use what they know

 

Laura works in the post office of Candleford Green, and all sorts of events take place, one of the things that interested me was the…apparition of the bicycle, first, it was the subject of ridicule, and then people adopted this means of locomotion, and all houses had a couple of those – every working day, I take the bike downtown, and on weekends, to the supermarket, where I use the attachments, I have to get provisions home

We have a transition here from Over to Candleford https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2026/07/over-to-candleford-by-flora-thompson-is.html indeed, Laura Timmins is even near marriage: this foolish game keeper’s assistant, seems to think she is ‘his girl’, though I am not sure if he means she will marry him by that

 

Philip is in fact the under keeper, I have seen now, and he is so self-satisfied that when he announces that he wants Laura to visit his family, the idea that anyone could refuse an invitation is clearly unthinkable to him. You will be my girl, he says and we are told that this was “the most unromantic scene ever”

 Humor is, if not omnipresent, a very important feature, from the shenanigans related to cyclists and others, to the postman who converted at a chapel revivalist meeting and now he would ask people ‘how is it with your soul? Have you found salvation?’ impertinent questions people thought, albeit the fellow had his charm

 

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

In The Fade aka Auf Dem Nichts, written by Hark Bohm and Fatih Akin

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice written by Larry Tucker and Paul Mazursky, directed by the latter is included on The New York Times’ Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made list, and Variety has published recently its Top 100 Comedies – or else, I have learned about this lately – where this feature has a top spot, as far as I remember it is higher that the 50th spot – speaking of these pages, you have access to my own more than five thousand notes on films from these and other compilations, together with another five thousand reviews on magnum opera from The Greatest Books of All Time and other sites on my blog and You Tube channel https://realinibarzoi.blogspot.com/2025/09/do-you-have-any-feedback.html you may even subscribe, if you wish