Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote Happiness can come from a…Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
Happiness can come from a…Breakfast at Tiffany’s
It is hard to find a more famous, enjoyable read than Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
Alas, the movie is way more famous than the book it is based on and this does not seem fair to Truman Capote.
The famous American writer is included on the lists of best books with another, completely different tale- In Cold Blood.
Before coming to Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I had read In Cold Blood and was mesmerized by it, in spite of the gory and true story it depicts.
I came to Breakfast at Tiffany’s with reservations- first of all; it is not included on the lists that I am in the process of trying to complete: best Literature lists.
And I wonder why, because Breakfast at Tiffany’s has become one of my all time favorites.
The other reason why I had been reluctant is that I was under the impression that this is some kind of light, superficial writing.
- I was wrong. Dead wrong.
The writing is delightful; the characters are funny and enjoyable, with a few exceptions.
A subliminal, negative message came from an unexpected place, before I got down to reading Breakfast… I was watching a show that I like: Two and a half men- when Jake and Alan start talking about Capote’s book:
- You could read it
- Yes, it is very short
This endorsed the opinion that we’re dealing with literature for those who like tabloids and things like Snow White and all…
The main character is extraordinary and wonderful. I am in love with the woman from the book, albeit I am familiar with some of Audrey Hepburn’s rendition.
I guess I am lucky that I had not seen the movie, because it would have affected my view of the book and the characters. I am going to watch it and I must say that I have seen a few scenes.
Even now, I can look at Audrey Hepburn with her long cigarette holder, if I am not mistaken and this image comes from another film.
To make some premonitions- I think the Holly Golightly from the book is more complex and interesting than the one on the big screen.
Yes, Audrey Hepburn was a wonderful actress, but somehow I doubt that she can impersonate a woman who has class, but at the same time comes from the Deep South.
Holly is both sophisticated and rude; she works with some hardened criminals, but has an affair with a man who wants to become the president of Brazil.
She would be at ease at the Buckingham Palace and in the stables of a farm in Texas.
But she has a dark streak and that would be well near impossible to render on the screen- one needs to read about it and follow the character and its sometimes twisted ideas.
The stealing of things from the shops, the marital infidelity- becoming the mistress of a man with seven children (or was it more?)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s comes from that thing she has with this breakfast- it is like a powerful drug for Holly, whenever she feels down, she can go to Tiffany’s and be happy again
There are so many events that I loved: the horse ride for instance,
And there is such a liberal, extraordinary air about Holly who at one point says that she would marry Greta Garbo- why not?
What an Amazing book!!
Comentarii
Trimiteți un comentariu