Mabel by Somerset Maugham, one of my favorite writers, author of The Razor’s Edge https://realini.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-razors-edge-by-somerset-maugham.html and other magnum opera - 10 out of 10
Mabel by Somerset Maugham, one of my favorite writers,
author of The Razor’s Edge https://realini.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-razors-edge-by-somerset-maugham.html
and other magnum opera
10 out of 10
I was in the hospital, with ulcer, in the communist days,
under the Ceausescu regime, when I had the chance to take from the library, the
works, short stories and more, of glorious Somerset Maugham and the time spent
locked up, you could not just leave, in a room with what, ten other patients
maybe, became joyful
Evidently, when reading Somerset Maugham, otherwise it was
no pleasant experience, however much I needed the minimum spent in medical care
– this will be a detour from the ‘subject’ of the note, and it is hard to know
if I ever come back to Mabel, so you might, should actually think of leaving
this space now, rather than later
I had started geophysics, in fact, it is geology, in the
first few years, and then one specializes, geophysics was for the crème de la
crème, and entered in second place, as in there was just this girl (and we had
a short fling) that had done better in admission exams, physics, algebra and
trigonometry, and then yours truly…
Yes, with the initial enthusiasm, I had great acceleration
from the second pole position – I had even taken a student from Jordan to
tutor, he was no good, he did not have the elementary theorems and notions, a
plus b, and so on, but later became a…doctor in geology, either through
corruption, most likely, or there has been a miracle
This lad, Rawhi, almost cost me the math exam, and thus the admission
into the second year, because he had no idea, in spite of my lessons, and asked
me for my paper, so that he could cheat, and copy the results, operations, and,
at the end of the allocated time, I asked him to give me back my papers, and he
did not have them!
What the fool did was pass them along, and they reached the
other corner of the class, and I was this close from not having anything to
hand over, luckily for us, and unfortunate for him, the math professor was
already suffering from some condition that made him sleepy, and thus not able
to see all that was happening…
Alas, after the first year, it became clear that geology and
geophysics, like so much more under Ceausescu, had no good future – indeed, I
would take part in the 1989 Revolution, and the link is included in the
standard paragraph, which ends all my notes lately – and therefore I had to
consider other avenues
At nineteen, or thereabouts, I started the guide school, and
then became one for the National Tourist Office, and learning the tricks –
changing some money in the grey market, that is between the official, and the black-market
rate, offering some parallel tours, in one I got to meet one of our richest
men, now, he was my apprentice in 1989
So, I have decided that geology, geophysics will not offer
me much, if anything, upon graduation and hence I have to delay that end for as
long as possible – in the commie days, one had to work, if ‘unemployed’, one
would be labeled, and punished as a ‘vagrant’, so you had to take the job they
gave you, no matter what
Eventually, I would be given a post, in 1990, once the
revolution would have toppled and killed Ceausescu, in the town of Drobeta
Turnu Severin, but I have not worked a day in my life in that place, or in the
domain I was trained…but back to the hospital, where I was reading and loving
Somerset Maugham…
In order to delay getting the degree in geophysics, and the mandatory
job that went with it, I had to postpone studying, and one had to have
justification, as in my father had died, so I had to work, but also, there was
the request to show that I was sick, I had had a duodenal ulcer from the
extraordinarily tender age of nine
Furthermore, one had to be hospitalized for a minimum of, I
could not remember, but probably three months or so, and here I was, some weeks
in the Student Hospital, then in Grivita, and could not tell you where else –
in the Student place, it was something of an adventure, for we had one floor
for men, and another for women
We mingled, to the point where I nearly had sex with one of
the female students, in another room, over the weekend, when some of the
patients would have ‘leave’, they could get to their homes, and return on
Mondays, and in the next room, there was nobody left, and we chose one bed, but
I think we still got interrupted and had to postpone
With that girlfriend (we had some weeks, maybe over a month
or two together) there was a rather exiting period, she was a bit (or a lot)
nymphomaniac (or it just feels that way, maybe memory is playing tricks, and
then if she wants more, one says oh, it is a lot, just because one is not
really capable, up to the challenge)
One day, I decided we should have a prank, and said to her
that I was actually a secret agent, and was in fact assigned the task to see if
she wants to join, there was no feeling emotion, it was just a job (later I
would see documentaries, and they called this Operation Romeo in East Germany,
where they did send operatives to seduce women, and vice versa, to enroll them
in Stasi) and wanted to have fun, see what she says abut the various
propositions, would she accept, is she upset that I do not really feel much, or
anything for her…
Now for my standard closing of the note with a question, and
invitation – maybe you have a good idea on how we could make more than a
million dollars with this http://realini.blogspot.com/2022/02/unique-in-world.html?q=unique+in+the+world
– as it is, this is a unique technique, which we could promote, sell, open the
Oscars show with or something and then make lots of money together, if you have
the how, I have the product, I just do not know how to get the befits from it,
other than the exercise per se
There is also the
small matter of working for AT&T – this huge company asked me to be its
Representative for Romania and Bulgaria, on the Calling Card side, which meant
sailing into the Black Sea wo meet the US Navy ships, travelling to Sofia, a
lot of activity, using my mother’s two bedrooms flat as office and warehouse,
all for the grand total of $250, raised after a lot of persuasion to the
staggering $400…with retirement ahead, there are no benefits, nothing…it is a
longer story, but if you can help get the mastodont to pay some dues, or have
an idea how it can happen, let me know
As for my role in the Revolution that killed Ceausescu, a
smaller Mao, there it is http://realini.blogspot.com/2022/03/realini-in-newsweek-participant-in.html
Some favorite quotes from To The Hermitage and other works
‘Fiction is infinitely preferable to real life...As long as
you avoid the books of Kafka or Beckett, the everlasting plot of fiction has
fewer futile experiences than the careless plot of reality...Fiction's people
are fuller, deeper, cleverer, more moving than those in real life…Its actions
are more intricate, illuminating, noble, profound…There are many more dramas,
climaxes, romantic fulfillment, twists, turns, gratified resolutions…Unlike
reality, all of this you can experience without leaving the house or even
getting out of bed…What's more, books are a form of intelligent human
greatness, as stories are a higher order of sense…As random life is to destiny,
so stories are to great authors, who provided us with some of the highest
pleasures and the most wonderful mystifications we can find…Few stories are
greater than Anna Karenina, that wise epic by an often foolish author…’
‚Parturiunt montes, nascetur ridiculus mus’
“From Monty Python - The Meaning of Life...Well, it's
nothing very special...Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good
book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in
peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.”
Comentarii
Trimiteți un comentariu